A gorgeous intimate performance space, the Chewton Town Hall is a substantially intact and rare example of a small town hall from the Victorian gold rush period of the 1850’s. Possibly the smallest intact Town Hall in Victoria?
It will be buzzing during the festival with a limited bar set-up and fabulous home-crafted artisan pies, cakes, and tea and coffee provided by Honky Tonks of Castlemaine.
The Town Hall was built in 1858 as a community hall in the centre of the rapidly developing Chewton township, and served as the meeting room of the Chewton Borough Council from 1861. In March 1997 the Town Hall building, the similarly historic Post Office next door and Ellery Park were handed over to the local Chewton community in recognition of the role this precinct plays in the life of the town.
The hall has undergone a major restoration by the Chewton Domain Society thanks to a state government grant for restoration works in 2013, and continues to be a central part of Chewton community life for the past 160 years.
Check out the relocated portable police lock up right next door.
Access: A few steps to enter the front door. Level access is available at the side of the building via the back door. Parking in Main Road and some parking (via Church Road) behind the Hall. (8 car capacity) Bands to enter via Back Door please.